Sunday, October 23, 2011


David Bouvier
ENGL 0250-154
H. Susi
10/23/11


"Good Grammar Gets the Girl"


The short story “Good Grammar Gets the Girl” by Elissa Englund is about a girl who tries to join internet dating services. She meets a guy online named Craig who seemed like a nice guy but he had really bad grammar. Craig misspelled words left and right and didn't seem like he knew the differences between certain words that sounded the same. Elissa thought he was dumb. Elissa talks about how many people have also exchanged their first flirting words through instant messaging, e-mail and on the online dating services. Elissa tells you five rules for people to remember before they type something and post it with all errors.
I think that the issues she discussed had good information that some people need help with their writing. I believe that this should be used for more than just internet talking, I know she is referring all this to internet dating because every one is speaking through words but you can use all of this in an every day use. I think she also she could use her advice for people who are writing resumes for a job interview, or for someone who is writing an article for a paper or a magazine. 
I personally have a problem with my writing. I know for a fact my language and grammar use needs to change in my writing and speaking. I have always had a problem with speaking and writing but I do not think that it is helping because of all these texting terms and slang I use with my friends on a daily basis.
Since the first couple weeks of My english class I can see the improvements in my writing I learn new grammar skills every day and I can see the writing improve in my texting and writing, I try and use the newly learned skills in my writing so I can better my self for my future, but it is really hard because using slang and short terms and abbreviations are so much easier and faster to text with.
I believe that one of the biggest problems is that our generation of kids are very lazy including my self and I like to use the terms and abbreviations it makes my life easier and its faster. There fore I think more kids should use some sort of a motive to better them selfs in their grammar and knew how important it is and maybe practiced by using texting. This would help them selfs in their future and they would grow as a better writing it will help them in the future if they have to write papers in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment