Sunday, October 30, 2011

"A Risk-Free Life"


David Bouvier
ENGL 0250-154
H. Susi
10/30/11

"A Risk-Free Life"


In the short story "A Risk-Free Life" written by Leonard Pitts is about a woman whom her name is still a kept a secret for her own 
safety and reasonings. Her whole family Has been struggling from a horrible disease called Alzheimer's. This woman is trying to have her unborn child's DNA screened for the disease. Pitts talks about how in the future people may be able to choose and depict distinct features
out of their children's DNA and pretty-much make their children's features from a check list.
I thought that this article was very interesting because knowing that a lady is going through this much to know what her child is
most likely to be like when it is born. I think that it is very smart to use the technology to figure out if your child will have a generic
disease, but I do not think that a parent should be able to choose and depict weather if your child will have blue eyes, brown hair, dark
skin and have a great smile. If you were too basically create your own dream baby, I think this would just be abusing the power of
technology. I would garentee that their would be some type of problem or glitch in this system. If this does happen I think people should  just think and ask them selves before they do it. Who would be the test dummies? Would it work? What would it happen if it didn't work?
I believe that your child should look like you and your spouse and have the intelligence of you both. In the future if Pitts is correct 
about this technology of choosing your baby's features from a check list then having a baby would just be like going to the mall and 
creating a build-A-Bear. I truly do just think that would be completely wrong and I would choose to not do it. I would want my baby to 
have my features not features of what i want.
Maybe instead of using this technology for looks. We can use it to our advantage and use it to maybe stop a disease from beginning. 
Maybe we could prevent diseases from happening that could potentially kill our selves in the future. I believe in fate. If my fate is to have 
an ugly baby, or a baby with distinct features weather they are bad or good, I think that we should all accept our fate and live with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment