Sunday, October 16, 2011







ONLY DAUGHTER

"Only Daughter," by Sandra Cisneros Describes how a father has high expectations for his daughter. In the past her father mentioned how he had seven sons one being her. She is the only daughter he has but still referred her to a son. Her father brings up all his children having seven sons if he wanted a metal. Her father expected his daughter to marry so he allowed her to go to college. When she graduated and went to  two years of grad school with no husband he thinks her schooling was a waste of time and money.
The quote that catches my eye is when she says "Being only a daughter for my father meant my destiny would lead me to become someone's wife." I think her father expects a lot from his daughter. And to me it seems like she's not ready for marriage. Cisneros dad tells his children to use their head and not their hands and always showed his beat up hands as an example. Thats exactly what she did, She went through college and worked very hard even went through two years of grad school and her father is still unhappy.
Cisneros Father criticizes her and how she wasted all her time, but all of her schooling paid off because she became a professional writer. Her book was sold and published to a New York publishing house. Her father was a huge part of her life and I believe her father inspired her to become such a good writer and pursue her dreams. Her father read her story. He asked if he could have more copies for him self and the family to read. She actually had this story translated so he could read it. i thought it was very interesting that she took such interest in her story after so many years of being hard on her and treating her like she beneath him. It all paid off for Cisneros, She made him laugh and ask questions. He was very interested in her story.
My thought on this short story is that maybe it was very good that her father was hard on her because maybe if not she would have nothing to prove to anyone. Also maybe she would not have gotten to where she is today. She has many short stores out books and more published. She is a very well known writer. I believe her Family experiences help her achieve Her goals.
       This story reminds me of some of the same reasons why i am the person I am today. The way Cisneros was inspired is the same way why I do things in my life. When some one tells me I can not do something it makes me want to do achieve it that much more. I can relate to this story on a daily basis I see things like this happen to my friends and even in different parts of my family. Their will always be that stereotype in every ones life at one point weather if it is good things or in bad ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment