Sunday, October 2, 2011

Dear Dads: Save Your Sons

David Bouvier
ENGL 0250-154
H.Susi
9/26/11


Dear Dads: Save Your Sons



This short story Dear Dads written by a psychologist, Christopher N. Bacorn was a very emotional story for many kids and mothers around the world. Just about anyone can relate to this story. He explained the importance of having a father in a child's life. He mentions the effects and emotional problems a child can have with out a father role mode in their lives. In this short story he meets with a mother and her child that shows this problem. This kid is 15 years old, fatherless and is into drugs and gang related problems.
As i was reading this story it has touched my feelings because i know how it feels to have a father in my life physically but he's never there emotionally. As i grew up my father was one of those fathers that i was never able to play catch with, watch him cheer for me or even take me to any practices. Never did he help me with my school work. He was always too busy working for himself and playing with his toys. It was like he was never there and that it was just my mother, sister and I. I have never looked up to my father because i simply did not know him. He did not talk to me. He did not teach me how to become the person i am i taught my self. Sometimes i think maybe if he actually was not there in my life would i really be a different person?
After having my own experiences with father problems, I always think about how my life would have changed if he payed attention to me. I do not believe so because i had a lot of other role models. My grandfather, cousins, uncles, and just friends and their parents. All of my role models payed attention to me. That changed my life because i never on a daily basis got this attention from people. I still meet new role models that affect my life every day. I feel that i am a mix of all my role models i have met because i would depict certain aspects about people and bring them into my own life. How some one acts, speak, communicates and most important if you are able to pay attention to someone and let them know you care they will look up to you. Your friends, girlfriends and siblings can be your best role models. Looking up to someone is very important. What some kids problems are that they look up to the wrong people. Some kids just do not have any good people in their life.
I believe over time you can change the way some one thinks and acts no matter how strongly they feel about their opinions. If you can create a relation between some one and your self you can talk to them for ever. Weather if it's about sports or cars dirt bikes, reading anything you can use as a gate way to their feelings. If some one looks up to you, you can tell them anything you want and they might believe you. The power you have when some one looks up to you is endless. This could be an advantage or disadvantage. 
Every child should not necessary have a father, but a father figure that can point them into the right direction. Showing them what is right from wrong. Having  role model can depict what a child wants to do for a career or what hobbies they enjoy. Not just children should have role models but as well as adults. A role model does not have to be older but just has to give a certain person inspiration. Role models can have the power to ruin a childs life or have the power to set children's goals to further their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment